Wednesday

SHELTER Interior Design speaks out

Julie Richard from SHELTER Interior Design, north of Boston in Salem, MA, recently blogged about some Clayton Gray Home items she loves. In Julie's opinion, designers should love every piece they choose for themselves or clients.

Some of the Clayton Gray Home furniture she features on her blog include the following pieces, which speak to Julie's design direction.









Because of Julie's impeccable design taste, we decided to dig deeper to find out more about her strategies and experiences. Here's our Q&A:

Have you ever bought something for a client that you wanted to keep for yourself?

Of course, a number of times! I usually admire the one-of-a-kind furniture pieces that can’t be found at chain stores.
I recently purchased a great cocktail table from a store in N.Y., that’s on my current wish list.

What is foremost in your mind when looking for products for clients?

I always have to consider price; clients usually have a budget and appreciate the thoughtfulness. What I am looking for in each job differs greatly, but I like to be “moved” by a piece. Not everything can scream “wow” in a room, but I aim to source unique items and objects for my projects. Quality is, of course, always a priority.

What is your design philosophy?

My goal with Shelter is to create unique, cohesive, visually graphic, functional spaces that suit my clients' lifestyles and needs. I strive for each space or home to contain elements of unexpected beauty and comfort! Great design is in the details.

Which is your favorite of all the Clayton Gray Home items you chose? Why?

That’s a tough call. I love them all for one reason or another. I think the Powell Cocktail table, a nod to Warren Platner, would make a room. It’s glamorous, beautiful and the gold finish is unexpected. The Marco Cabinet in white is also amazing. It doesn’t get much better then lacquered grass cloth.

What do you enjoy most about your work?

I love the creative design process. My job and work is always evolving. Keeping things fresh is imperative to me. Seeing the finished product and a very pleased client is extremely rewarding!

What's an important lesson you've learned about design over the years?

Don’t be afraid to verify the details over and over again! Mistakes do happen but many can be avoided. If you are unsure of the something, it’s so important to double-check measurements, pricing, color, etc. Always have the fabricator of any custom piece obtain the dimensions on-site for the piece they are making! Take some pressure off yourself!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts!